Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Do you care about the animals?

It's turned really cold, so much for being spring, this morning there was small traces of snow in the sky and Gerald even made a fire for me before he went out, isn't that sweet of him? I have recovered from my nasty headache now and at least Nyo is being well behaved today and not shrieking the place down. There is a blackbird that comes to visit and he is very curious when he hears Nyo, he always stops whatever he is doing and puts his head to one side to listen, as if to say what kind of bird is that? I wish Nyo would take singing lessons from him as blackbirds have the sweetest voices.
I have been watching a series on TV about reptiles, each episode has kept me enthralled all the way through. Last night was no exception, it was all about reptiles with armour, like tortoises and crocodiles. They featured "Lonesome George", the only surviving tortoise of a particular species found on one of the Galapagos Islands. It is sad how so many animals are becoming extinct right before our eyes. In Madagascar the natural rainforest is being depleted so quickly that scientists say certain types of chameleons are becoming extinct as quickly as they are being discovered, some are probably extinct without having ever been discovered. My whole life I have watched the destruction of the natural world, sometimes plundered before my eyes. I am grateful that I have seen rhinos, elephants, cheetahs, leopards, sables , eagles and pythons in their natural habitat. I am grateful for the hours of entertainment I had as a child with the myriad of colourful insects in the garden, the huge butterflies and iridescent beetles, the giant ants going about their business, there was always something to learn, like being on National Geographic in real life. I try not to take anything for granted, one day I might wake up and there will be no birds to sing, or no trees to blow in the wind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home