Friday, March 02, 2007

Tales from the bush

As soon as I opened my eyes today, there was a ring on the doorbell and it was our new sofas arriving. Much drama , because despite the fact that we thought we had done our measurements properly, the damn things wouldn't fit through the door. The kind young fellows who delivered them are obviously used to this sort of thing because they nonchalantly removed the door and the sofas just squeezed through, imagine if they hadn't. Now I have the added bonus of making sure Nyo doesn't do her business all over them. Every endeavour must be made, it makes a change to have some decent furniture and now at least we can have some guests around. We only had a 2 seater sofa before and there was never anywhere for a visitor to sit, so if you are passing through our area....
Late afternoon is one of my favourite times of day, there is a certain laziness about it. The first time Gerald came with me to Zimbabwe, we went to stay a couple of nights at a luxury safari camp, one of my school friends started it up with her husband and it is set on their own private game reserve. The first evening we were there, we went for a walk just before early evening and it was so beautiful. We kept finding these crystals everywhere on the ground, and the bush was alive with all sorts of creatures. We even saw some zebra having an evening drink by a small pool of water, whilst the birds were noisily singing their goodnight songs. A certain peacefulness descended in the air and the earth smelt full and warm. It was as if time was passing really slowly, it does in Africa, the minutes seem endless sometimes.
Anyway, that was only the start of our adventure, we definitely had some experiences whilst we were there, and we only stayed for a couple of days! We finished our visit with a walk as well, up the side of a small hill that was covered in dense bush. I was a bit apprehensive as it was the kind of environment that snakes love and lo and behold I put my foot right by a baby
mamba, I looked down to see it slithering through the rocks. I let out an almighty scream that ricocheted through the valley, I'm sure it was heard for many miles and was guaranteed to scare off anything else in the vicinity.
Will have to tell you more tales of Camp Amalinda some other time, have a fabulous Friday!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home