Sunday, October 29, 2006

We're back

Hi Clingers, we arrived back yesterday after having a fabulous time, felt like we were away for ages. Where we stayed was really remote, it was just a tiny hamlet at the end of a road. there were only a few farm buildings and that was it. From the doorstep of our cottage there were just loads of places to walk and walk we did. It felt like I got a lot of things out of my system, at times it was very tough and challenging and not without facing some fears, so I've come back a lot stronger.
Day one we took it easy, we decided to visit White Scar Caves, you go on a guided tour deep into the bowels of the earth. I was a bit apprehensive at first, claustrophobia was never one of my favourite things. I thought we would just go a little way in and there would be a huge cave there, I didn't realise we would have to trek for about half a mile down narrow tunnels that were so low in some places you have to crouch, and there was just water everywhere, underground waterfalls and fast flowing streams. The way the rocks had been carved out by the water was amazing, they were so smooth and shiny, they looked like porcelain, didn't even look real, there were colours I'd never even seen before, then there were all the stalagmites and stalactites to look at and that was something I'd only ever seen in books before. By the time we reached our destination, a huge cave deep in the earth, I was just so stunned and exhilarated by everything that I actually felt quite comfortable down there, apart from the fact that it was very, very cold. Then there was the grand finale in the cave, the guide switched off the lights and put an ultra-violet light on and all the stalactites growing down from the roof became illuminated and it was like being in an enormous winter wonderland. My only regret is that we didn't stay down there longer. I would highly recommend that trip to anyone, it's well worth it, like a different universe down there. Didn't quite convince me to go potholing in my spare time though.
Well, that's all from me today, log on for tomorrow for the next exciting episode.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home