Sunday, June 10, 2007

My favourite painting

I think a good painting is one that captures your imagination and makes you feel as if you are part of it in some way. I managed to salvage a family heirloom last time I went home. It was the first painting my mum ever bought and when I had to take it out the frame so that it would fit in my suitcase, the price was written on the back- 2 guineas !! Is she that old? By the way she was very disapproving about me taking it, in case it got damaged I suppose.
The picture is an African scene of course. The main feature is a set of huge balancing rocks. Almost prehistoric, they tower above a lonely acacia tree and a dusty road leads around the corner of the rocks into the distance. I think it is winter time because the sky is a radiant blue, without a cloud in sight and the bush is dry and brown, apart from a small outbreak of foliage. Walking in front of the rocks is an African lady, laden with a heavy bag on her head and a baby on her back, and following her is a small child carrying a water pot on her head. I often just sit and look at this picture and wonder how far they have walked and where they are going to, is the little girl tired , where does the road lead to , what is behind the rocks? I suppose paintings are a bit like songs, they have a different meaning for everyone. Maybe this one just conjures up associations with my childhood and maybe that is why I am so drawn to it. Whatever it is, the artist did his job well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home