Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Dehli belly

Hi everyone, it's so misty today, it has been all night, before we went to bed you couldn't even see down the end of the street, I'm glad I wasn't driving last night. Watching a film about India last night reminded me of the times I have been there, I would like to go there with Gerald but I think his stomach is too sensitive. I'm not being funny, but it takes a couple of days for your body to adjust to the water and even if you drink bottled water, your food is still cooked in other water and it can make you terribly ill, that's what happened to me last time I went. If you're going to stay in a 4* hotel then I guess you'll be OK, I was on a kind of pilgrimage to a meditation retreat so I had to stay in this kind of ashram in Dehli for the first night, before catching a train for a 14 hr journey to Rajastan. At the time I was travelling it was the Kumba Mehla where thousands of people go and bathe in the Ganges, all the trains were full and we couldn't get a seat in first class, we had to go with the chickens in fourth class in the end. It was very exciting at first, but a few hours into the journey I began to feel sicker and sicker, like I had food poisoning or something, rushing for the loo, but the toilets in the train were just holes where you could see the track underneath. I never thought that journey would end, never thought I would make it to our destination because after the train journey we had a two hour bus ride into the mountains. So for the first two days I just lay in bed weak and half dead. It was worth it in the end though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home