Monday, September 17, 2007

The things we do for friends

It's Monday, I always start off very disciplined and then by the week's end I am normally so exhausted that all my good intentions go out the window. So that will be my challenge this week, to stay focused! I found one of my old friends, RB, from Bulawayo on FaceBook. His sister was my best friend at school, they lived on a small farm just outside Bulawayo and I was forever at their house. RB is gay and it didn't always go down too well in the macho, narrow -minded society that we grew up in. I used to hate the way people were so horrible and I had quite a few gay friends so I knew how they got treated. Anyway, once I entered the Miss Teen Queen competition and had a good chance of getting through to the finals. On the night, it was packed as it was quite a big event in Bulawayo. All the contestants had to answer a question, who would we take to Victoria Falls if we won the competition? All of them had so far replied with very sweet answers, most of them said their Mums. I grabbed the microphone and said "I would take my boyfriend, RB". There was an audible gasp from the audience, they were so shocked, obviously I didn't get anywhere in the competition , but it was worth it as it caused such a scandal, people talked for days. My other friends thought it was unforgivable that I had deliberately blown my chances, but I didn't care, I was happy that I'd done it, I think I've always lived by the rule that any publicity is better than no publicity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home