Monday, February 05, 2007

Horses

I have to take Gerald to the dentist today, he has to be sedated, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, I think for anything awful I would like to be as well. Sometimes it's the sounds that are more nerve -wrenching than anything else, all those horrible drills and things. My Uncle is in his 60's and he doesn't even have one filling, still has all his teeth as well, I don't think he's been to the dentist very often in his life at all. I think his secret is that he learned how to brush his teeth properly, he should be an advert for Colgate.
How do I conquer my fear of riding horses? Several years ago, I was riding a boisterous young horse in Bahrain (don't ask what I was doing there), we weren't exactly in the desert, but it was an open, sandy area. All of a sudden my horse got spooked and broke into a gallop, I managed to stay on until he came to a dead stop and the momentum carried me over his head in a somersault. I unceremoniously broke my arm and ended up in hospital.
About a year later, I was back in England and my friends suggested riding in Epping Forest. We went out on a hack with the riding school. I was OK whilst walking, but as soon as we started trotting I froze in fear and had to get off. I was so scared that I refused to get back on again, everyone was so annoyed with me. I think I ended up walking the horse back to the stables. It's a pity really, I love horses, I think they are beautiful, intelligent and magnificent creatures. Although I don't feel the urge to go riding very often, it would be a feat to overcome my fear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home