Thursday, May 15, 2008

Don't waste water, ok!

Hooray, my laptop has come back from hospital and for the first time it is working as it is supposed to, I can't believe how fast it really goes, so far so good. Woke up today to the sound of rain and the garden was having a good watering, which saves me from doing it. Gerald is quite flabbergasted at times, in Africa water is a sacred commodity and we were always brought up to conserve it wherever possible. I have therefore been using my bathwater to water the garden, employing the most primitive methods to transport it there. You may well chuckle to yourself, but with one bath I can water the whole garden. What's the point, I hear you ask, when England has so much water?? The whole point is that water is precious and you shouldn't waste it. One day it might be more precious than gold and huge wars will be fought over it.
In Zimbabwe one year, there was a terrible drought and huge parts of the country became like barren wastelands, without trees or anything. I remember seeing heartbreaking pictures of magnificent animals like giraffes, dead form dehydration. The rains never came that year and all the rivers and pools dried up. No crops grew and the people in the rural areas were eating roots of trees and dust to survive. The earth was so cracked and parched, you could almost feel it's exhaustion. See how much we take for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home