Monday, June 18, 2007

Country Roads

Up early to the sound of rain again. The summer solstice has been and there hasn't been any summery weather at all. I took Gerald down to the chiropractor to have his neck clicked into place, it only takes a couple of minutes, it's quite amazing how they manipulate you. Maybe I should try it for my headaches.
We are heading off to rehearse this afternoon, not many more to go now, as the festival looms ever closer, I wonder if it's ever going to stop raining. I saw footage on the news of Yorkshire under water and it reminded me of when we were there, we stayed near a reservoir which burst it's banks and every day the water seemed to come closer and closer, threatening to flood the road and leave us stranded. Living in London, you don't really get the extreme weather of the countryside and as for the roads, well that's another story. I can't tell you how many times I've been petrified by the roads in the country. Once, we got lost in the Peak District and ended up on this really narrow farm road, it wasn't much wider than my car. All of a sudden there was such a steep, high turn and I panicked and stalled my car on the steepest part of the gradient. I had grand visions of the car just rolling back uncontrollably. I saw how terrified Gerald looked and Nyo was shrieking in the back and I panicked even more and just put my foot down. Of course there was the screeching of tyres and burning rubber, the smell of which seemed to stay in my car for the entire break. I suppose if you live there though, you just get used to it. When we went to Cornwall, I refused to drive my car once we were there because I was just so freaked out by the roads when we first arrived. So we walked everywhere and even ended up getting a couple of cabs. When we were leaving I did wonder what I'd made such a fuss about because it didn't seem quite so treacherous after all. My perception had been totally different when I was tired. First impressions aren't always right, and I let fear rule my head, how silly!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home