Monday, April 16, 2007

Free Soul

Today my poor Aunt will be laid to rest. I would like to remember her when she was young and strong, she was such a beautiful woman , absolutely stunning, she reminded many people of a 1950's film star. I suppose some would say that she led an ideal life up until her illness, she never really had to work, but was very much a socialite and indulged herself in floral art and cake making. She was always immaculately dressed in beautiful clothes, even first thing in the morning! She loved to be pampered and every Friday she would get dressed in her smartest clothes and drive off to town to the hairdresser's.
As a mother, my aunt was always very strict with my cousin, it was always my uncle that we would try and wangle things out of. I was always a bit scared of her temper, once she chased my cousin and me down the road, we had been getting on her nerves and I was amazed at how much energy she had! Valerie loved my Mum to pieces and was very kind to our family, we never left her home empty-handed. She also had a soft spot for stray animals, she would pick them up on the side of the road and give them a home, at on stage there was quite a collection of dogs and cats at her house.
Then there are all the little things I remember about her, like her funny laugh and the way her hands were exactly the same shape as mine and my mum's. The taste of the tomato sandwiches she would make for our lunch, the way she used to rev the car in the mornings, how she loved to watch TV, so many things that were unique to her.
I wish that I could be there to pay my respect and say goodbye, but as my cousin said, we lost her a long time ago. It all ended like one of those tragic 1950's dramas .......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home